Candied Bacon Ice Cream with a Sopapilla Chip
Write a review
- 10 egg yolks
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 5 ½ cups half and half
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons Jim Beam Fire Whiskey (optional)
- To make the ice cream custard, melt the butter in a heavy, medium-sized saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar and half of the half-and-half. Pour the remaining half-and-half into a bowl set in an ice bath and set a mesh strainer over the top.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, gradually pour the warm brown sugar mixture to them, whisking the yolks constantly as you pour. Pour mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook over low to moderate heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom with a heatproof spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.
- Strain the custard into the half-and-half, stirring over the ice bath, until cool. Add liquor, vanilla, and cinnamon, if using.
- Refrigerate the mixture. Once thoroughly chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Stir the bacon bits in when you remove the ice cream from the machine.
Bacon Bash Texas https://baconbashtexas.com/