Bacon & Hatch Chile Clam Chowder
Write a review
- 3 lbs Bacon, cut into ½ pieces
- 4 medium sized Onions, finely chopped
- 4 large cans Diced Green Chilies
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Ribs Celery, diced
- 2 Jalapenos, diced
- 1 tbsp Chicken Base
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 4 medium size Potatoes
- 4 cans whole Baby Clams
- 2 qts Milk
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 8 oz jar Green Chile Salsa
- 1 pint Sour Cream
- 1 bag of Blue Tortilla Chips
- 1 jar Goya Honey
- In a 8 quart pan, cook 2 lbs of bacon over medium heat until well done. Lift out and drain on a paper towel. Set aside and reserve drippings in pan.
- To droppings, add onions, chilies, garlic, celery, jalapenos, chicken base and cumin; cook, stirring until onions are soft (about 5 minutes). Add potatoes and juice from clams. Bring to a gentle boil; cover and boil gently until potatoes are tender when pierced (about 20 minutes). Add milk, cooked bacon, black pepper, and drained clams; heat, stirring occasionally, until soup is steaming hot (do not boil). Add corn starch dissolved in water as desired for thickening.
- Cook remaining 1 lb bacon, drain, crumble or finely chop. Add ⅓ of crumbled bacon to sour cream and ⅓ of crumbled bacon to green chile salsa. Dip one corner of blue tortilla chip in honey and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- To serve: spoon chowder into bowl, dribble with prepared green salsa and a small dollop of prepared sour cream. Place corn chip protruding from dish into the sour cream.
Bacon Bash Texas https://baconbashtexas.com/